He vividly portrays the driving forces and personalities, the perspectives of Christians and Muslims, and the legacy of the Crusades in Christian and Muslim history and imagination. Asbridge balances impeccable scholarship with a gifted storyteller s engaging voice. Emphasizing the dramatic Third Crusade and its heroic antagonists, Richard the Lionheart and Saladin, the narrative reads like an adventure story, albeit one that is both factual and instructive.
Help Centre. My Wishlist Sign In Join. Be the first to write a review. Add to Wishlist. In Stock.
Unable to Load Delivery Dates. Enter an Australian post code for delivery estimate. Link Either by signing into your account or linking your membership details before your order is placed. Description Product Details Click on the cover image above to read some pages of this book! In doing so, both groups ascribed to the movement an influence over the future course of Christian-Muslim relations that it never really had.
They do not, therefore, have a direct bearing on the modern world and its religious conflicts and should conse- quently be consigned to the past where they belong. In this too, I believe, he succeeds admirably.
The Christian Road to Jerusalem - Jewish Review of Books
His main scholarly goal is to bring Islam back into the history of the Crusades. More recently, though, the focus has turned away from Islam and toward the European context in which the crusading idea first took shape.
- Til Death Do Us Part (The Protectors Series, Books 6-7).
- Flammable: Environmental Suffering in an Argentine Shantytown.
- Interpretation Zu Doyle. A Star Called Henry?
- The Crusades: The Authoritative History of the War for the Holy Land.
- The Crusades: The Authoritative History of the War for the Holy Land | Wish;
- The Crusades: Holy War (1 of 3)?
- Self Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Self Leadership?
The tendency in scholarship on the Cru- sades now is to see them as a form of holy war that popes and lay enthusiasts directed against multiple threats to Latin Chris- tianity. The Muslims were counted among these threats, to be sure, but so too were a host of other perceived enemies along- side and within the frontiers of Latin Christendom. Asbridge bucks this Eurocentric trend.
For him, the Islamic world is cen- tral to the history of the Crusades and he gives it more atten- tion than any general history of the movement has before. Although he does not work directly with Arabic sources, he draws on the best of recent scholarship on the Near East in the crusading period — especially the work of Carole Hillenbrand — to offer a remarkably rich analysis of the political, economic, and religious aspirations of the Seljuks, Fatimids, Zengids, Ayyubids, and Mamluks.
Weighing in at over pa- ges, it forms a kind of book within a book and is quite likely the best treatment of the subject currently on offer, whether scholarly or popular.
The Crusades: The Authoritative History of the War for the Holy Land – By Thomas Asbridge
Anyone who is interested in the Crusades, whether new to the subject or not, can learn a great deal from this book. By bringing together Muslim and Christian perspectives, Asbridge points the way forward to a new approach toward this most contentious of religious conflicts, one that is grounded in mi- nute analysis of the sources produced by both religious tradi- tions.
- Grzimeks animal life encyclopedia. Cumulative index.
- Biotechnology Operations : Principles and Practices.
- The Crusades: The Authoritative History of the War for the Holy Land by Thomas Asbridge?
- Agriculture and the Environment: Minerals, Manure and Measures!
- The Crusades (Audiobook) by Thomas Asbridge | anveogoto.tk.
All in all, The Crusades is a wonderful achievement. Related Papers. By Jay Rubenstein.
- The Christian Road to Jerusalem!
- Along the Path. The Meditators Companion to the Buddhas Land.
- Understanding Our Father: Biblical Reflections on the Lords Prayer.
- PDF READ FREE The Crusades The Authoritative History of the War for t….
- International Mediation Interaction: Synergy, Conflict, Effectiveness.
- Annual World Bank Conference on Development in Latin America and the Caribbean, 1996: poverty and inequality, proceedings of a conference held in Bogotá, Colombia.
By Paul Chevedden. Sign up for free! Join our Signed First Edition Club or give a gift subscription for a signed book of great literary merit, delivered to you monthly.
Shipping rates and options, locally and throughout the U. Harvard University harvard. Advanced Search. Our Shelves.
Related The Crusades - The Authoritative History of the War for the Holy Land
Copyright 2019 - All Right Reserved